Ever been curious how your pizza is made? Ever watch your local pizza guy toss a pizza? Ever want to know HOW? Now’s your chance!
If you were ever curious how Pittsburgh pizza specialists Pizza Sola toss those spheres of dough I can now describe how they end up making pizza and normal people end up with dough on their face. Next time you stop into Sola perhaps you can get a lesson too – and then show off your skills.
So here are the simple steps:
- After you make the pizza dough you want to flatten it into an 4 inch sphere
- Drape the dough over one of your fists
- Slip your other fist under the dough next to your first fist
- Slowly start stretching the dough, moving your right fist away from your face and the left fist towards you so the dough rotates while stretching
- When the dough reaches about 8 inches you are ready to toss it!
- Quickly move your left fist in an arc that goes backwards towards your face. You do this while twisting your right fist forward away from your face. If you give a little push upwards with your right fist the dough will spin like a frisbee
- Gently catch the falling dough with your fists so as not to tear
Now you know how to toss your very own pizza dough! Check out Sola’s locations to see it happen live!
By Liz Bey